April 21, 2015 will soon be known as mobile day. That’s the deadline Google is giving to website owners to get mobile-friendly or risk losing mobile positioning in search results.
What does this mean? Google wants your website to do more than simply look nice on a mobile device. Google wants it to function in the best possible way for the visitor on each device.
This is called ‘responsive web design’. This means a website changes and functions differently depending on the device it is being viewed on. It means your site will display differently when viewed on a desktop computer, a tablet, or a smartphone. More importantly, your visitors will have a user experience designed specifically for the device they are on when viewing your website. When properly strategized, not only will your ranking remain in place and improve, but your conversions will increase too.
Google’s new mobile ranking algorithm will act like a ‘responsive report card’ and will include mobile-friendly usability and mobile app indexing.
Beginning April 21:
- Google will label mobile-friendly websites
- This label will be visible in mobile search results
- Google will use this when factoring your ranking
- This will have a significant impact in search engine results
Tips to Get Labelled Mobile Friendly:
- Avoid a website built with software not common on mobile devices (ie. Flash)
- Use text size/font that is readable without zooming
- Content needs to be sized to the screen to avoid too much zooming & horizontal scrolling
- Links should be placed far enough apart so they are easily discernible
Additional Mobile-Friendly Advice:
- Incorporate a mobile-strategy implemented for mobile users when they browse your site from a mobile device
- Ascertain what visitors on a mobile device are coming for and give them that information right away
- Strategize & optimize video & images for mobile devices
- Keep it simple and concise
- Incorporate mobile friendly calls to action such as click to call, Google mapping etc.
- Keep your branding consistent
- Test it
Are you concerned your website may not get Google’s mobile-friendly label? Contact a GetOn.com Internet Marketing Specialist for a free mobile audit.
Our team will analyze your website utilizing Google and third party tools and recommend any necessary updates/changes.
Still need convincing you need to strategize for the mobile search market?
Here are some Mobile Statistics From Google:
- 50% of consumers who conducted a search on their smartphone visited a store within a day
- 88% of local searches occur on a smartphone
- 40 million calls on average are made each month to businesses directly from their Google ads
- 32% of first-time home buyers will use a mobile device to search for mortgage info.
- 98% of those aged 18-34 use smartphones on a daily basis to view video content
- 40% of all minutes spent watching YouTube Videos are spent using smartphones
- 41% of business travellers book travel via their smartphones
*Stats taken from A Year of Opportunities 2015 Google Booklet